The brief is to design a charm that is relevant to modern living. This is an object that provides support during a time of uncertainty, both danger and hope. These can include a range of circumstances:
- Local risks, such as earthquake, bushfire, flooding
- Collective risks, such as climate change
- Personal risks, such as sitting for a job interview or undergoing medical treatment
The charm can include the following elements:
- It can be worn on the body or placed in a specific location such as a doorway
- A particular text that serves as a verbal charm (e.g., ‘Follow what’s best for everyone.’)
- Instructions as to how it be used (particular actions in certain circumstances)
- Story of its provenance
Designing a charm has particular challenges
- The wearer has to have faith that the object is special.
- The object needs to fit well into an everyday context.
- Beyond the object itself, there is a need to consider how it is given and how it is used